Monday, April 12, 2010

A most possessed rooster....

Okay....  this is the rooster...the one who made fear run like ice through my farm girl veins.  I am loathe to admit that a creature this small could strike terror in my heart....could make me scream like a girl.....  I am ashamed to say that when I walk around the side of the house and meet his evil eye, my only focus becomes finding a stick so I'll be ready when he strikes.  Sigh....yes, he scares me.  And guess what?  I'm talking about the little black speckled chicken...the banty....how utterly humiliating.  But as you can see from the picture, he does not pick on his own size....here he is challenging the bigger California White rooster....he's a mad dog....he has no fear.....I kid you not..... 

It began last summer...     I was out doing my chores....  totally unsuspecting of the danger that lurked nearby.  As I was looking at the squash....just checking out the garden....the rooster was scratching around a couple of feet away.  Okay, at the time I thought it was strange...he appeared to be scratching around innocently but I swear I noticed him eyeing me maliciously.   However, I turned off my inner warning bell and turned my head to look at more squash.  And that's when all hades broke lose...the little fool thing waited till I turned my head and came after me!  What the heck was he thinking??  I screamed...my heartbeat accelerated....he just kept coming.  Finally, I threw a rock at him and thank heavens, he decided to walk away...crowing, I might add, like he had won or something....grrrrr.....

That was the beginning of our summer long war ....

The next time he decided to strike, I was walking around outside, talking on the phone and holding Isaac.  The mad dog came up to me and just started attacking.  I was trying to talk, hold Isaac, and kick at him without sounding like I was totally freaking out....trying to remain calm on the phone.  And let me tell you, you can't turn and run away because then he chases you....and the more you kick, the more he tries to spur you.  I finally managed to pick up a stick while cradling the phone against my ear and run him off.

This happened several times over the course of the summer.  I got to the point where I could no longer take a leisurely stroll outside.  I was on full alert...waiting to be attacked from behind....always wondering where that little heathen was and when he'd appear out of nowhere to assault me.

The final straw occurred one day as I was getting eggs out of the coop.  Let me paint you a picture here....  The coop door opens to the side.  The opening is about three feet off the ground.  The opening is about four feet wide and four feet tall.  Soooo...when the eggs are laid in the back nest, I have to step up on the edge of the coop, lean over the nest boxes, and reach back into the recesses.  Meaning my legs and backside are vulnerable to attack....NOT COOL....  while I'm leaning over with my head stuck inside the coop, the rooster sees an opportunity.  He attacks me from behind!!!  The little opportunist!!  I screamed..nearly knocked a lump on my head and let me tell you...I was fuming!!  The mad dog rooster had finally met his mad dog farm girl match.  I found a stick and gave him a good solid WHAP!  I really wanted to have him for supper....no wait..I wanted to stuff him and sit him in my kitchen and crow in victory every time I saw him.   However, the blow from the stick knocked his wing a tad bit off kilter and he couldn't lift it to attack anymore.  I'm not a mean person, but dang...enough with the terrorizing!! 

At any rate, we ended up putting him in a mobile pen with three little banty hens.  This is where he has been since the end of last summer.  But, much to the calm beat of my heart's dismay, he has been let out to totally free range for awhile.  The picture above was taken recently.  I wish I could've caught them midair...with their neck feathers all fluffed out and spurs aimed for attack.  He totally defeated the white rooster....I just shook my head and sighed...yep....he's a mad dog for sure.  But so I am...so, he better watch his back....

(I have a pic of his spurs...they are HUGE!  i'll post it when i find it....)

1 comment:

  1. So funny...and now I'm scared to come to your house!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete