Friday, April 8, 2011

Patriotic Chicks... a.k.a. Ameraucana Chicks! :)

Ameraucana......  that always makes me think of Foghorn Leghorn and my favorite quote:  "Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island. Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is."  You know....because Ameraucana is like American....is like Red, white, and blue.....ok, it *might* be a stretch, but, I like the quote and will use any excuse to get to use it.... ;D
So, anyway....  I have Ameraucanas!!  The kind I've always wanted...well, at least since I've known they existed...which has only been a few years....but, I've wanted them *desperately* for those few years.  All the tears and crying and drama paid off a few weeks ago when Darren came home with .....*SURPRISE*!!...Ameraucana chicks....from Tractor Supply.  Have I ever told you that I *love* Tractor Supply?  Ok...I digress...  Color me one bodaciously happy farm girl.  I mean, do you know the significance of Ameraucanas?!?!?  No?!?! {gasp!!}  Allow me to enlighten you.  THEY LAY BLUE AND GREEN EGGS!!!  How daggum cool is that?  I am so excited.  Seriously.  I cannot wait to get a colored egg.
So, here is a picture of the chicks when I first got them:
And this is the same chicks a couple weeks later:
They have changed dramatically since that time...I just haven't snapped a picture of them yet.  I'll post one as soon as I get it.  I can't wait to see them with all their adult feathers in.. I'm curious to know which Ameraucana variety they are...and I am soooo hoping that the majority of them are hens.  I know it would be hoping too much to wish for no roosters.  Well, I mean, I maybe wouldn't mind ONE rooster.  I do kind of like to hear them crow...and they have pretty tail feathers... and ...  well, that's all.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment