Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Buttermilk Biscuits...

We had breakfast for supper tonight...fresh eggs, homemade strawberry and blueberry jams, bacon, livermush, and buttermilk biscuits.  I recently found an easy *successful* biscuit recipe.  Now, if you've the time, money, and desire, Sam's has an excellent butter flake biscuit mix that turns out divine biscuits.  However, on occasion you've gotta work with what you've got.  The recipe I have found that produces a pretty darn good biscuit is quite simple....

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, cold (as in straight from the fridge cold)  *** I know, I know...that's a hunk of butter :)
1 - 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a medium mixing bowl, cut butter into flour using a pastry cutter or fork until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Pour in buttermilk gradually, stirring mixture with fork.  Add milk until the dough is not sticking to the sides of the bowl and all flour is absorbed into the dough.  


On a clean, dry, floured surface, roll dough until it is floured enough so that it doesn't stick to the surface.  Press dough out until it is about 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick.


Using a floured biscuit cutter or floured glass rim, cut biscuits.  ****Okay, I have to share a HUGE tip with you...I saw on a cooking show once that if you turn and twist the cutter it seals the edges of the biscuit preventing it from rising properly!!  Just press straight down...no twisting...I'll give you something later to twist to....H@!  Bet you're curious now...be patient...


Place on an ungreased pan; biscuits should be barely touching.


Bake (oven rack should be in middle position) for about 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.  Immediately brush with butter.


I found this recipe on Cooks.com....
A few personal tips of my own:

**If you do not have buttermilk - Use 1 tbsp of lemon juice and add enough regular milk to equal up to 1 cup.  This makes 1 cup of buttermilk.

**If you're out of self-rising flour, no worries!!  Mix together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 1/4 tsp of baking powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt ...Voila!  


But, I think they do taste a little better when you use fresh sr flour and buttermilk.


Now for the twisting part...when I was in maybe 7th or 8th grade, my neighbor introduced me to a *slightly* stupid but rather funny rap....I never fail to think about it when I make buttermilk biscuits...I'm hoping to curse you into being brainwashed as well...misery loves company, right???  :)


Copy and paste this link :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlz_UzAaRY
Enjoy!  H@! H@!




No comments:

Post a Comment