Monday, February 15, 2010

Update From the Farm....

I know I haven't mentioned much about the farm lately.  It's winter here.  Not a whole lot happens during the winter on this farm....except the daily chores in the snow, cold, and rain.  Yee-Haw!  Since it has been so cold, I've moved my choring time up from around 8 am to about 2 pm.  I know, I know, my great grandmother, who milked her cow every morning, would probably gasp in horror to know my goat doesn't get milked till 2 pm.  It bothered me at first, but I'm over it now.  LOL.  We have had more snow this year than we've had in many years.  And when it's that cold, the water tends to freeze in the buckets.  And the chicken waterers - that have screw on lids - refuse to be unscrewed....without much labor and huffing and puffing.  Oh, and another thing, when there is snow or ice on the ground, my milk goat has a phobia of getting on the milkstand.  She acts as though she's unsure of herself.  So, I stand beside her and pretend it doesn't bother me that I'm getting rained on, my feet are sinking in the mud, the chill is cutting right through me...while she looks around, butts at the cats that are awaiting their daily bowl of warm milk, rolls her eyes around, and shifts from one foot to the other.  But she's still producing a half gallon a day, so I try to be patient with her.  :)
The chickens, surprisingly, are still laying quite well.  We are still getting almost a dozen a day. 

I am also very pleased to announce that I purchased my first pair of muck boots a few weeks ago!  I am delighted!  They are soooo cool.  I don't know how I ever made it without them.  :)

After all the snow we've had, I am very ready for spring.  I long to feel the warm sun seeping into my bones and driving away the chill of winter. I'm ready to smell freshly turned dirt and watch the first little green sprouts pushing their way up through the soil.  I'm definitely ready to get out of the house and breathe some fresh air that doesn't freeze you to death.  Darren and I are already discussing what we want to plant where this year.  We are both looking forward to doing a little gardening together.

My other doe is pregnant and due sometime around the first of April.  I'm excited to see what she will have...boy or girl.  That also means she will be milking about 8 weeks later when we wean the kid off.  Not sure if I will continue milking Annie (current milking goat) after Sugar (the pregnant goat) begins providing or if we will let her (Annie) freshen before breeding again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment