Wednesday, February 2, 2011

To Wax or Not to Wax

A writing tablet, that is...  *grin*

We've started our Ancient Rome study and I want to make a writing tablet and a stylus for each of my kids like they used then.  I've got two choices.  I can either enlist the help of my husband to make ones from wood, with the center carved out, and wax poured in....like this:  http://www.zipworld.com.au/~zebee/tablet.htm and this:  http://www.kolumbus.fi/auroran.koulu/suomi/koulun_pito/comenius/vahatab/waxtab.html ....OR I can make some with cardboard or some other thin material and non-drying clay.  The basic use would be the same....they could write on them with the stylus and then smooth it out and write on it again.  I just have this thing....  I want to do the REAL thing.  Well, as close as I can get to it.  But, I also know how these things go...sometimes, you get so caught up in trying to do the "exact" thing that you put it off because it requires materials you don't have or time to get around to doing the technical part of it.  So, I'm thinking not to wax.  Which irritates me, because I feel like I'm settling.  And really, how much extra time will it take?  And think of how authentic and cool that would be??  To have a personal wax tablet with a stylus...man, that would ROCK!

Ok, I changed my mind to wax...definitely....I think....for sure.  *smile*

And since you're here...I have to share my latest read....
While doing History unit studies, I like to read historical fiction based on that time period.  As a result, I have totally immersed myself in Ancient Rome books.  My current read is Roma, The Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven Saylor.  I'm half way through it and it's really good.  The book follows the story of two families through the ages while providing a tremendous amount of history and legend.  I am loving it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment