Monday, February 7, 2011

But, I Didn't Inhale....

At least I don't think I did.... 

I'm talking about my inhaler...not Bill Clinton politics. If you want politics, you'll have to go to another blog.

Anyway, I got my new inhaler....for when my goats make me feel breathless, or something like that.  It has occurred to me that I must be extremely uncoordinated in order to get confused trying to use an inhaler.  The thing is, I declined talking to the pharmacist regarding the proper use.  The cashier said that the directions were on the box..and being that I am a homeschooling mom, surely to goodness, that's all I need.  Right?  How hard can it be?

First, you have to prime the inhaler.  Meaning, you shake it and spray it in the air one, two, three times.  But, you only prime it if it has been 14 days since you used it, or if it has been dropped.
Proceed to take an actual dose....which entails breathing out through your mouth and pushing as much air as possible out of your lungs.  Now, put your mouth on the mouthpiece and...wait... did it say prime it if you haven't used it in 14 *days* or 14 *hours*???  Now, while I've pushed all the air from my lungs I have to go back to number one on the box and see for sure what it said.  Dang it...I had to breathe.  It said 14 *days*...okay, I'm good...and, I have to start all over.
Back to pushing all the air out of my lungs.....  gotta hurry and read the next direction again to make sure I get it right....I'm dying for air...there must be a medical term for it but I can't allow myself to get distracted on WebMD right now...
Inhale slowly and deeply while pushing down the canister...and quit pushing it down right after the spray comes out...   Which means I am so busy focusing on making sure I stop pushing when the spray stops, that I can't remember if I inhaled deeply.  I mean, I know I breathed.  But, I don't know if I inhaled deeply enough to help.  My tongue is really cold though.  Dang...maybe I just sprayed my tongue and nothing got to my lungs after all.
While it's all fresh in my mind...I'd really like to try it again.  But the warning on the side of the box says it's supposed to last up to 4 to 6 hours and therefore should not be used more frequently...  DANG!  Guess what I'm wondering now???  Exactly *what* time did I just do that???

No comments:

Post a Comment