Tuesday, July 26, 2011

An Hour Online is Technically not an Hour....When You Have Children

Okay... so, if you were to take a peek at my online history, you would likely gasp in dismay, raise your eyebrows, and think to yourself:

wow....she spends a LOT of time online...doesn't she have kids?  and a mini-farm?  and household duties?  and.... 

To start with, I wouldn't let you view my history...just for that very reason...but IF you did....here's my explanation...
Let's just take any day of the week ending in D-A-Y, and some, if not all of this, is included in my early morning attempt to view my email and facebook.  (by the way, I could possibly have a slight addiction to facebook based on the aforesaid kids/mini-farm/household duties/etc that constantly call my name..but, that's a post for another time)

I open my eyes to another day...that's not really accurate.  I think how good the bed feels when it's time to get out of it...I think back on how many times one of my four wardens woke me up at night for some reason or another...  and then I stumble out of bed, because I know it's important to be a responsible adult and wake up before 10 am...  plus, I have an older farmer friend who likes to call around 8 am in the mornings and it's really hard to get that I've not been sleeping, non-gravelly, I-really-am-a-goat-milking-I've-been-up-since-the-crack-of-dawn-farmgirl-voice thing on demand. 
I get to the kitchen and open the laptop cover thinking I just need a few moments to have some cappuccino and gather my wits.

MOM!  I need some noodles!!!  (Yes, I have said before and I say again, my three year old thinks that despite that the fact that we live on a mini-farm with fresh goodness all around, he MUST have his ramen noodles for breakfast...I am still waiting for this phase to pass)
Can you make me some french toast?
Can I play on your computer?
Mommy!  Will you get me some apple juice?
Hey, Mommy...you wanna hear my dream? (Mom!  Can I have some apple juice?)  I dreamed that I was in that one Harry Potter movie...you know the one where ----------- (Did you start my french toast?  I'm starving!) and then Malfoy said -------  and then I said---------- and I had the wand and----------  wasn't that crazy?  Did you hear what I said?  You want me to tell you again?

Okay, okay...  pour the juice, get out the pan for the french toast, start some water boiling for the capp-- and log on to facebook.  ohhhhhh....red flags.... silent early morning interaction.  SILENT.  the best kind of morning interaction...if you are NOT a morning person.  which I am not.

I start to reply on fb ...the thought is taking form in my mind...I am laughing to myself.. Are you making my french toast now?  Mommy...  are my noodles almost done?  Dang...the noodles.  What was I saying again?  Oh, nevermind.

The noodles are boiling, the cappuccino is ready, I have resisted all attempts to to have my computer carted off by the little band of scavengers that I'm playing chef to, and the eggs and goat milk have been whisked for the french toast....while the pan is heating...

Where was I?  Oh, yes.... commenting....dang...the pan's smoking....

Nine pieces of french toast sit steaming on plates...  juice is poured...noodles are half-eaten and then abandoned in favor of a piece of french toast with syrup...at any rate, everyone is, at present, putting something in their mouths besides the swift intake of oxygen to fuel the never ending stream of talk...
So, I sit with my capp- and comment... which means I just had, like, an entire thought take seed and then follow through to fruition.  Fascinates me on the rare occasion when that happens...

And then here comes my sweet Isaac...my "love"....as he refers to himself...  and he decides to climb up on the barstool and sit on the counter between me and facebook.  I poke my head around the side of him to finish my thought and he moves his head over in mirror of my movement....

So, I do a swift duck and weave to the other side....MIRRORED..  dang, he's good... and all the while he's smiling sweetly...  like he's not actually aware that he's making me lose my place in the riveting thread I am engaged in...

So, I slide him over to the side, and say sweetly...hang on juuuuuuuuuust a second and let mommy finish typing this ONE thing...  

To which he gives me his sweetest look, puts a soft little hand on each cheek, turns my face to him...giving me a fish face in the process because I am still (albeit, in complete futility) trying to finish my comment...  and says, "I just want to kiss you, love."...and since you can't argue with that...   I kiss him quickly and say again (maybe not quite as sweetly)... juuuuuust a second...

"Hey, Mommy!  You could read me this book....about the snake.  I'll do the snip! snap!"  (because this book actually has a plastic snake head at the top that you can make go "snip! snap!")

"Ok....but, I'm only going to read you ONE...just one"

And so I read it ...  I'm not even sure of what I said...  it must have been correct because he snipped and snapped at all the right places....

And then finally.... FINALLY...
"Ok, I read you one ...now scoot over for a second."

"Just one more, Mommy"

And then I have to pull out the last ditch effort....the big dogs...

"Ok, Mommy is going to the bathroom now...  you.wait.here"
  

No comments:

Post a Comment