Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread....As it Pertains to Apple Pie :)

The bushel of apples that were picked by my little chef (more on this later) and the skilled diva sat in the kitchen for a couple of days...  waiting....waiting....waiting....

Finally, my husband rounded up the kids and gathered them around the apple peeler....I guess he figured somebody needed to have some initiative since mine seemed to be lacking.

Look at that gentle instruction going on....you go, honey...  I'll just sit over here and take pictures...


Sarah made an apple slinky..  which made me sing the slinky song...  ahh..they are such cute little kids....


I so love the sight of a pile of apple cores and peelings....the cores look like little thread spools.....

Okay...  so, as the kids and Darren are peeling the apples, it becomes evident that I am going to have to put the camera down and do something with them.  I had previously found some information via the internet regarding freezing apples for pie.  I was very interested to try it.  Here's what you do....  Fold two pieces of tin foil together to make one big piece.  You then lay that into a foil pan...or whatever you make your pie in..  press it around the edges to get the shape... put your apples and spices, sugar, etc in the foil lined pan....



Fold the foil up and press it down to retain the shape of the pie...


Now tell me how cool that is????  You freeze the little pie shape, wrapped in foil, and slid into a gallon bag....when you are ready for pie, you take it out of the freezer, put it in a crust laden pan like the one you pressed it into and voila!  Pie!!  I'm in love...seriously..  WHAT A COOL IDEA!!  If you already knew all about this and you are wondering where I've been...please...don't burst my bubble...I'm fragile ...  :)  We had enough apples to make six pies to freeze.  I just think it's so neat.... 


Normally, I use store bought crusts...but I'm thinking, since the pie is already ready, I could make use of the time I would've spent on peeling, slicing, etc and make homemade pie crusts.  :)  Which is why www.myhomecooking.net is written on every bag....there is an easy recipe for crusts there.. :)  I did read that you should not thaw the apples first...put them in frozen.  And to help the bottom crust to keep from getting soggy, sprinkle flour and/or sugar on the it before putting the apples in...

I had lots of help mixing up the spices and sugar.....



No comments:

Post a Comment