Thursday, March 3, 2011

Allergies: Part Deux ~ Achoooo!! Achoooo!!! *hack*hack*

At the time of my last rant, I had visited my family doctor who pointed me to an allergist... regarding my allergies.  To goats.  Like the one I milk. EVERY day.  I wasn't happy.  Apparently the dander/hair/whatever was getting all in my facial orifices and irritating them to the point of revolt, i.e. coughing, sneezing, throat clearing, eyes itching and oh, yeah...SWELLING.

The following week, as I was trying to steer clear of any goat petting and overexposure, I sat down to a bowl of Rice Krispies. There I sat, on the floor, savoring the snap, crackle, pop, when I realized there was a zing! being added to the mix....  only it wasn't coming from the cereal...it was coming from my tongue! Yeah...my tongue was zinging...tingling, if you will.  Color me freaked!  I took some Benadryl and bemoaned the fact that maybe I had developed an allergy not just to the goats themselves, but also to the products made from my goat's milk.  I decided to write it off as mostly my imagination and a couple of days later, I had a hankering for some soft goat cheese and crackers.  After inhaling, I mean, daintily nibbling, half a round of cheese, I noticed that the *zing* was back...and accompanied by a swelling in my throat.  Dang!  I took one Benadryl and decided to google it just to see what the "professionals" online had to say.  DANG!  Swelling and tingling in your tongue is indicative of anaphylaxis.  So, I freaked and took one more Benadryl ...just in case....and I might have reminded the kids of the number to call in case of emergency....to which one responded, "It's 119, right?"  So, I took the rest of the Benadryl....no, really, I didn't.  I thought about it, but, no...  I saved some for next time.

The day finally arrived for my allergist visit.  I was greeted by one sadistic, smiling employee who instructed me to lie down on my belly and she'd be right with me.  Ahhhhh, I thought....this is almost like I'm going to get a massage... which I've never had, by the way.  I kept thinking this up until the time that she actually walked in...with a tray full of all these little white things.  I forgot to mention that my seven year old princess was with me...Lord knows she talks every breath...I cannot for the life of me imagine where she gets that.  Anyway, so I ask her, "Are those needles?"  "No", she replies, "....they're made of plastic and what we do is twist them on your skin to open it so we can put the allergen in."  Funny how that information did not make me feel any better.  To which I venture another question, "How many of those do you need to do?"  And then all visions of any relaxation vanished, as she said, "Only 56.".... say what??  Did she just say "ONLY?"  Oh, okay...thanks...  whew....  only 56...     So, she began...  and the first row didn't seem too bad...I mean, it was annoying, but I'm a big girl...I can handle a few twisting plastic thingies.    And a few more on the second row.  And a few more on the third row...and, "DANG! woman!  Aren't you finished yet?!?!  Sheesh...you'd think you enjoy this!!!"  Then, she leaves the room with this final thought, "Try not to scratch...if you need us, send your daughter to get us"  Thanks.. I'll just lie here...savoring the after effects.  And that's where my dear daughter comes in..."Man, mom....your back looks awful!  Ooooh, that one has some mucus coming out!  That one does, too!  That one looks white!  You're getting some big bumps!  Oh, look, Mom!  She wrote on your back... A, B, C, D, E......"

Finally, the woman (I can't bring myself to say "lady") came back and felt the reactions caused by the allergens and judged how allergic I was.  It was then that I figured out why that nice little welcome bag they gave me upon arrival, contained a back scratcher.  Yeah.  It itched like a mad dog.

So, anyway, the allergist told me I had severe allergies... especially to ragweed and pines...which is really funny because I am surrounded by both.  And she was concerned about the goat milk reaction so I had to get an Epi pen.  I asked her if getting rid of the goats would stop my symptoms and of course she said "No" because that would be far too easy, right?  Right.  However, taking some allergy meds and/or allergy shots should lessen my symptoms.  So, I'm taking some allergy meds...and debating the shots.  I really don't like needles.  And I'm not eating any goat milk products.  She said I could in very small increments just to see how much I can handle....but, for the moment, I'm just steering clear.  I am milking the goat with my mouth and nose covered...just to try to alleviate some of the symptoms.  I've had some fun with it...milking in disguise.  Such as the day I wore my bandanna .....
 that's the thug look...  imma theivin' a little milk....

then Darren bought me a dust mask, so I made a paper nurse hat and went for that look....

then I braided my hair and wore the bandanna for the cowgirl look....
as an aside - look at the quantity of that milk!!  Shivers, the baby, had decided that he wanted to nurse on both sides of his mommy instead of the one.  So, we had to move him...well, I didn't touch him ...I didn't want to look like the Michelin milkgirl...hahaha...ummmm...okay...that's kind of not funny.  Anyway, he had to go to a different pen.  Now that he's gone, I'm getting right at a gallon of milk a day...milking once.  What a great milk goat!!!
Take a gander at that frothy, fresh, farm goodness!!!

2 comments:

  1. We all know what you really did with the nurse hat and mask. . and little white nurse dress. . . just hope you had taken the correct pills! LOL ahahah

    <3 ya!! Post about the doll house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Amy.... ;)
    Yes!! I *must* post about the dollhouse!
    Thank you for your comments and reading the blog <3 love ya!

    ReplyDelete